Saturday 19 September 2015

Degree Show 2015 Review

Tamzin Riches

I have chosen to review the work of Tamzin Riches because this was my absolute favourite of all of the work I saw throughout the degree show. I was immediately drawn to her work because of the amazing detailed illustrative element. What also really draws me in is the monochrome colour palate that she uses. Throughout my own work I feel that using a monochrome colour palate has worked very well for me in the past and it is definitely something that I will be using throughout my work in my final year. I am also fascinated by the way she is able to put her own thoughts and visions down on paper in such a detailed and intriguing way. The theme of mythology in her work is something that I believe links closely to my own practice, as this is something I am very interested in. I myself have started to look into the theme of mythology and mysticism for my own project.


Krista Murtagh

I really love the colours and the textures that Krista uses. I am really inspired by the mark making that feature in her work, as I feel that it is quite similar to my own mark making techniques. The vibrancy of the colours she uses was what caught my initial attention and captivated my interest to try using more colour myself. I have been told on a few occasions that I need to bring more colour into my own practice and be more experimental with it. I feel after seeing her work that I am inspired to try exploring colour more, especially bright bold colours. Through viewing the work of both of these artists it has given me an idea to use a monochrome colour pallet, complimented by very bright possibly neon colours.



Connor Peploe


The thing that I really like about Connor’s work is how diverse it is. What I initially loved was the brand he created called Steeplejack. This really appeals to me, as this is the direction that I want to take my own work in. I would love to be able to create a successful alternative lifestyle brand. Not only did I like the initial look of this but also I loved the concept behind it. The brand being based in Bolton and being named Steeplejack after Fred Dibnah is a real selling point to me. I think the ‘Made in Britain’ quality about his work is what I find really appealing. I am hoping to keep a Made in Britain quality throughout the work that I produce, as I am aware that it is a very on trend concept due to ethical and economical factors, which matter to both the manufacturer and client. Not only did I love his branding work but I also like his illustrative style and the importance of the local Manchester areas within his work.


No comments:

Post a Comment